Children attending Catholic Schools are offered religious education through the school curriculum.
Children attending non Catholic schools are offered religious instruction (Catechesis) through Parish Religious Education Program (PREP).
PREP (Parish Religious Education Program)
Is a family focused, parish based, catechist supported program that seeks to offer the highest quality religious education for your child/children.
Our Parish follows the program “The Truth Will Set You Free”. Classes are offered every Wednesday afternoon, during school terms, between 4pm-5pm at St Simon Peter Catholic Church Parish Centre, 20 Prendiville Avenue, Ocean Reef.
Children are welcome to enrol from Year 1 (Age 6). Any child receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation, Eucharist (Communion) and Confirmation is required to attend a minimum of two years of our program.
Ideal Sacramental years are:
- Reconciliation – Year 3
- Eucharist (Communion) – Year 4
- Pre-Confirmation – Year 5/6
- Confrimation - Year 6/7
How to enrol
If you wish your child to attend our classes, an enrolment form needs to be filled out. A copy of your child’s baptism certificate is required together with the enrolment form. Once the form has been filled in, you can either drop it off at the Parish Office (during opening times) together with payment, or bring it in with you on the day of commencement.
The fee to enrol for 2018 per child is $40-00 for the year.
Duty of Care
The parish of St Simon Peter has a duty of care to all children attending the PREP program. Your child’s safety and well being are most important, and we seek the parents support and cooperation.
- All children are to be dropped off and picked up at the Parish Centre.
- If children arrive earlier than the Catechist, it is the responsibility of the parent to stay with their child.
- It is the parent’s responsibility that children attend classes. If a child is unable to attend class please contact the Coordinator or the Parish Centre.
- If your child has medical or educational problems, it is your responsibility to advise of this on the enrolment form.
- All Catechists are dedicated volunteers and are required to have a police clearance for working with children.
Role & Expectation of the Parent
As primary educators of their children parents are required to:
- Nurture the gift of the Catholic faith.
- Take an active part in the child’s spiritual formation.
- Provide the help and example of their child/children’s need to live a Christian life.
- Pray with their children and see that they attend Mass each Sunday.
- Attend commitment Masses, Sacrament information sessions and workshops.
- Present their child for the reception of the Sacraments.
- Take interest in your child’s activities. Encourage them to discuss what they have learnt.